Are you looking for a refreshing and healthy summer recipe that will wow your taste buds? Look no further than this delicious watermelon tomato gazpacho with a cool cucumber swirl! This chilled soup is packed with the vibrant flavors of ripe tomatoes, juicy watermelon, and refreshing cucumbers, making it the perfect dish to cool you down on a hot summer day. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or simply looking for a light and refreshing meal, this gazpacho recipe is sure to impress.
A Fresh Twist on a Classic Dish
Originating from Spain, gazpacho is a traditional tomato-based soup that is typically served cold. It’s the perfect way to take advantage of the fresh and juicy tomatoes that are in season during the summer months. However, this watermelon tomato gazpacho adds a unique twist to the classic recipe by incorporating the sweetness and subtle tanginess of watermelon. The result is a soup that is not only refreshing but also bursting with flavor.
To make this delicious gazpacho, you’ll need the following ingredients:
– 4 cups of ripe tomatoes, diced
– 2 cups of watermelon, diced
– 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
– 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
– 1/2 red onion, diced
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves
– 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
– 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, basil leaves, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Blend until smooth and well combined.
2. If desired, strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any pulp or seeds. This step is optional, as some people prefer a slightly chunky gazpacho.
3. Season the gazpacho with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld together and to chill the soup.
4. While the gazpacho is chilling, prepare the cool cucumber swirl. Using a vegetable peeler, slice a cucumber lengthwise into thin strips. Roll up the cucumber strips and place them in a bowl of ice water for about 10 minutes to make them crisp and curly.
5. To serve, ladle the chilled gazpacho into bowls and garnish with a swirl of the cool cucumber strips. You can also add a sprinkle of fresh basil leaves or a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil for an extra touch of flavor.
Enjoy this refreshing watermelon tomato gazpacho with a cool cucumber swirl on a hot summer day. Its vibrant colors and refreshing flavors are sure to make it a hit at your next summer gathering. So, grab your blender and get ready to impress your friends and family with this unique twist on a classic dish!